Friday, October 21, 2005

Blog Theft!

Pssst...if you haven't checked out Hill-TV lately, there's a lot of new shit up, not the least of which are the first two installments of my column, The Angry Piper's Book of the Week. Of course, "of the week" implies a weekly basis but in truth it's whenever I feel like doing it, and whenever the Generalissimo decides to post it. The second true installment should be up by the end of the weekend, so take a look. And if you get inspired to join the Revolution we'd be thrilled to anoint you ritually and call you brother (or sister. or whatever you want to be called).

Anyway, from time to time, as Malach can attest, I steal ideas from other peoples' blogs. (see 25 Things, below). This time I swiped the idea from right under the cute nose of unsuspecting Tel.

So, Dr. Jones, once again what once belonged to you is now mine.

Ten years ago: I had just graduated from college with my smoking hot Psychology degree. I was working in a comic book store, but that would soon change. I had a zero balance on my credit cards. I was in great physical shape. I did not drink. I drove a Subaru GL sedan after cracking up my first car, a Dodge Omni GLH. I was going places. I didn't need one night in Bangkok to make the world my oyster.

Five years ago: I was working on a loading dock taking shit from people I ran mental circles around every day. The credit cards had a respectable balance. I had terrible health insurance, but at least I had some. My Psychology degree was forgotten. I had lost touch with Dr. Murk, Malach, and the Angry Veteran. I bought a used set of bagpipes on eBay(mistake). I was in a relationship I should have paid a lot more attention to. I went to Disney World.

One year ago: I thought I was happy with my job as I was finally doing things with my degree, the one I spent all that time in college for, but I was wrong. I spent much time alone, which is certainly nothing unusual. I began writing in earnest. I looked at myself and wondered where all the extra pounds came from, then narrowed my eyes suspiciously at the beer in my hand. I looked at my credit card statements with horror and dread as I got a debit card and wondered why the fuck I didn't have one for the past 5 years. In two months a tree would fall on my car, crushing it beyond all hope of repair, and if I had been inside at the time, then for me there would be no

Yesterday: I went to work and did little of consequence there. I came home determined to write. I posted to my blog instead of doing what I should have been doing, much like today. Oh yeah...and I paid off my credit cards. I'm just waiting for the checks to clear before I cut those little fuckers up into so many pieces it'll take Rain Man to count them.

5 Snacks I enjoy:
Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Fresh Bread
Cheese (all kinds)
Nachos (made in the oven....mmmmm)
Triscuits (damn those crackers are good)

5 Songs you may be surprised to find I know the words to:
Welcome to the Terrordome by Public Enemy
I'll Never Turn my Back on You (Father's Words) by Terance Trent D'Arby
Finest Worksong by REM
Your Love is King by Sade
Human Behavior by Bjork (you should hear me sing it).

5 Things I'd do with $100 million:
1. Anyone who has ever done me a significant kindness would find out how appreciative I can be.
2. Buy a house. MY house. With a fireplace, a big library, and an indoor swimming pool and spa.
3. Buy a bookstore. And a comic book shop. And possibly a vineyard or a brewery, just because I think it would be cool.
4. Travel anywhere I felt like going, with impending trips to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Greece, (back to) France, and possibly Brazil. Fuck it. I'd have $100 million. I'd hit Brazil too.
5. Probably move out of the country. If so, I'd pass on the comic book shop.

5 Places I'd Run Away To:
1. Paris. I would live there.
2. Nova Scotia
3. Ireland (not Ulster)
4. One of the Greek Islands (just try and find me).
5. Alaska

5 Things I'd Never Wear:
1. Leather Pants
2. Assless Chaps
3. A Cowboy Hat
4. Jewelry of any kind (unless it's my kilt pin)
5. A Fanny Pack

5 Biggest Joys:
1. Reading and knowing that no matter how old I get there will always be books I have not yet read.
2. Music.
3. My friends, the ones I'd take a bullet for. Even though we're not in constant contact, knowing they're there is a joy. (Here endeth the sentimentality).
4. Daydreaming. I do it a lot.
5. Fleadhs!

5 Favorite Toys:
1. Are books considered toys?
2. "The octopus."
3. My PS2, baby.
4. My berimbau, just because I'm the only person I know who has one, and because it's quite sentimental (okay, so I lied above). I still can't string it, though.
5. My life-size inflatable Dr. Murk doll. So...soft and lifelike...I hardly know the difference...

What is cool at my place:
Besides me? Not too much. Although I do live within walking distance of the supermarket and right off of two major highways, so I guess "convenient" would be a better word than "cool".

I hate my neighbors.

7 Comments:

Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

I suppose I should steal this one also

Sun Oct 23, 11:07:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Dr. Mantodea said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Sun Oct 23, 12:23:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Eve said...

To think I knew you when you were a Public Enemy fan. Those were the good ole days. Now I have this picture stuck in my head of you in assless chaps and a cowboy hat. I am such a visual person...
One more cool thing about your place, the black hat. Tell Tel I said thanks because I too will have to steal this one.

Mon Oct 24, 05:50:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Dr. Mantodea said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Mon Oct 24, 10:12:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Christopher said...

Check out The Angry Piper's book suggestion at The Hill.

www.hill-tv.com

I spammed your blog with your own stuff, fatty lumpkins. What say ye?

Tue Oct 25, 08:59:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Xtine said...

I cant believe assless chaps are on your NO list, I mean really, were is your sense of style? kidding!

Sat Oct 29, 07:38:00 PM 2005  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

It's not about style. I have a leather couch and I don't want to stick to it.

Tue Nov 01, 04:53:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home