Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Mysterious Hat

Yesterday, as part of my normal morning regimen, I punched a steel plate 1000 times to toughen the knuckles on the hand I use to kill people. Later that day I had planned on testing its effectiveness by visiting the town where I grew up and randomly felling cows with my fist-of-iron, but something ruined my plans.

I had just finished my 200 3-finger push-ups and was midway through my set of 300 hanging sit-ups when, on sit-up #138, I became aware of something amiss in my apartment. I have somewhat of a psychic bond with my home and I soon pinpointed the source of my stress. With all the grace of a cat, I swung down from the bar and investigated the object that was interfering with the feng shui of my abode.

It was a hat.

Oh, it looked innocent enough, casually resting on my leather sofa with built-in telephone, drink tray and massage function. A plain, black baseball cap with an adjustable band. The bill was curved and seemed well broken-in. The label inside the cap reads: made in Vietnam.

Here is the problem: I don't own this hat. It is not mine.

Absently I toweled the glistening sheen of sweat from my rippling muscles and sat down, turning the hat over and over in my hands and wondering from whence it came. I mentally ran through my own hat inventory. I have never been much of a hat wearer; I wear them when I don't feel like taking a shower in the morning and want to keep my unruly hair together for a trip to the coffee shop next door. Rarely do I put one on for any other reason. I own 3 baseball hats, two of which were bought for my recent trip to "One Happy Island", where I wore them to keep the sun from blistering my scalp through my thinning hair. The other one is a plain black baseball hat, much like the one I was considering, but it does not have an adjustable band. In fact it's a fitted hat, and it's too small for me (due to the huge size of my brain, no doubt).

So where did this hat come from?

I considered and dismissed my friends. Most, like me, didn't wear hats. Aside from that, none had been in my apartment in a long time, as getting an invitation to The Angry Piper's apartment is about as unlikely as finding a golden ticket in a Wonka bar. Nor would any be so foolish as to court death by arriving unannounced (I discourage drop-by visits. Oh, how I discourage them). Wherever the mysterious headwear had come from, I could be certain it wasn't from a friend.

Who else, then? Aside from my landlady, no one but myself has keys to my apartment, so I can rule out family (although my brother has been known to leave all kinds of shit here). My landlady is one of the coolest people I know. She doesn't wear baseball hats and she wouldn't just waltz through my apartment without a verifiable emergency and without telling me first (or as soon as possible afterwards), so I am confident the hat did not come from her.

Which leaves two possibilities. Three, if you count magic and/or divine providence. Either I brought the hat in myself or someone else did.

I didn't.

If someone else did, they gained access to my residence illegally and without my knowledge. They took nothing with them and left a hat.

Any ideas, anyone?

Disclaimer: Parts of this story may have been fictionalized. Not the hat, though. That's real.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mabey you brought it home along with all the returns from the comic convention that you went to last weekend?...just a thought. Hope you are feelin better after the sore throat you had. Well I'll touch base with you sometime early this week see how everything is going.
Later!

Sat Oct 15, 08:32:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Christopher said...

You drank the hat into existence. I've done this many times before, usually with furniture.

"Wher da heg dis couge cum frum?" I've been heard to mumble as I've saulted over the misplace piece of furniture.

Usually, in the sober sober morning, I realize that in my enibriated state, I went shopping. Again. With my psychic powers. No cash needed.

The End?

Sat Oct 15, 09:52:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

JesusMan could have something to do with it.

Sat Oct 15, 10:14:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first read this, I thought it was the hat wich had the built-in telephone, drink tray and massage function. Which, you have to admit, would have been pretty nifty.

It’s a calling card, a sign of some sort, that i'm certain of. Expect to be contacted by a secrete organization that requires your unique skills to save the world.

Be patient… it may take a while.

Sat Oct 15, 11:57:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh,"secrete" organization.. I love spell checkers...

Sun Oct 16, 06:57:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Xtine said...

thats scary. Do some research on what kind of sign or omen a hat is...or get a security system. Either way stay safe. eeek.

Sun Oct 16, 10:44:00 PM 2005  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Barely. You weren't wearing it for long, hot stuff.

Mon Oct 17, 08:18:00 PM 2005  
Blogger drM said...

That reminds me of the time someone broke into my house, stole EVERYTHING and replaced it all with an exact duplicate.

I was so mad.

Fight the power, Piper.

Mon Oct 17, 09:58:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Eve said...

Hey consider it my earlier birthday gift to you and enjoy!

Wed Oct 19, 05:16:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home