Sunday, October 02, 2005

Movie Review

The Angry Piper doesn't often give advice, even when asked by those who suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and who desperately need it. But I'm giving some unsolicited advice today to all of you:

Go see Serenity. Today.

I can't be any clearer than that.

For those fans of Firefly (like me and my buddy), it was incredible. For those who aren't fans of one of the best shows to be ignored and unsupported by its parent network (which includes, no doubt, many of you, who never got a chance to see it) it will be incredible. Mark my words, even those of you who aren't keen on science fiction (like you, Betty).

Yeah, it's science fiction. The action is terrific. The effects are awesome. The characters are believable and sympathetic. There are some major surprises. The dialogue is Joss Whedon at his best. Go see the fucking movie. Because if you do, maybe Fox will realize they can't recognize a good series when it bites them in the ass and they will start it up again (like they did with Family Guy). I'm hoping for the Sci-fi Network to pick up the series instead.

I recommend you buy the Firefly DVD set and watch all 13 episodes of it first, but it's not necessary. The movie does a good job of setting up the backstory and introducing the characters with a minimum of exposition. You can watch the movie without seeing the series, but some scenes won't have the same impact. Of course, you can always go back and watch the series later (and if you see the movie, I'm betting you'll want to).

In keeping with my solemn promise to the Generalissimo, I will be writing a weekly column at Hill TV. Look for my introductory article within the next few days. I will likely be moving my blog over there as well, but don't worry: for those of you who want to follow me slavishly, you'll get the heads up in time to change your favorites.

10 Comments:

Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

I have a Serenity Tee, I got form a friend in the movie biz.

Mon Oct 03, 09:06:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet to hear a bad thing about this movie, so I'll be taking your advice. This, despite the fact that I am still suspicious of your tastes since you recommended Napoleon Dynamite to me.

Tue Oct 04, 12:23:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I won't even tell you what I think of this movie from the previews, but I respect you so I'll reconsider it.

Don't push me, F.

Tue Oct 04, 11:04:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Eve said...

I have to agree, I loved Napoleon Dynamite. Loved the whole Rex Kwon Do scene. Not much of an oppurtunity to check out the movie but if I get the chance I will see it. I am a true geek, I like science fiction.

Wed Oct 05, 05:34:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm in the camp of those who hated the movie. But The only part I DID like was the Rex Kwon Do.

ND is the kind of movie that has those who think it was the best thing since Office Space, and those who just couldn't stand watching it past the first 30 minutes. There isn't much middle ground, it seems.

Wed Oct 05, 06:34:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angry Piper, want to babysit so we can go see Serendipity? I'm dying to go . . .

Wed Oct 05, 07:35:00 PM 2005  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

XT: Me? Babysit?

Are you sure you love your offspring?

And Serendipity was a movie starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. It was a quote unquote romantic comedy with a wicked stupid premise. That's not the movie I'm talking about.

Owen: In truth, you're the ONLY person I know who didn't like ND. I found it so funny I LITERALLY almost wet myself. Although most of my friends didn't find it as funny as me, you're the only one I know who TURNED IT OFF 30 minutes in. Rest assured, you missed some funny shit (although if you hated the first 30 minutes you weren't likely to enjoy the rest).
I took your movie advice many years ago and I STILL haven't seen Highlander 2. Or any other craptacular Highlander sequel, for that matter.

Wed Oct 05, 11:01:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was wise of you. Because you see, unlike ND and just about every other movie made, Highlander 2+ are objectively bad films.

And my girlfriend also hated Napoleon Dynamite. So we are truly a match made in heaven, or some such thing.

And I know a couple of others who didn't like it either. So there. No, you can't have their names.

Thu Oct 06, 09:30:00 AM 2005  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Owen: That only proves your girlfriend has lousy taste, which we already knew anyway(since she's with you).

Tel: Soon. (like tonight)

Thu Oct 06, 02:04:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still bitter about me breaking up with you Keith?

Really, you need to move on.

Thu Oct 06, 05:39:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home