Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Scots Wha’ Ha’e!

Despite the persistent and stubborn belief of Dr. Murk and Malach, The Angry Piper is NOT Scottish; I just sometimes look the part by wearing the plaid and playing the pipes. However, if I was Scottish, then today I’d be celebrating Robert Burns Day in Scotland. Robert Burns was a poet, responsible for many a powerful song and poem (like Address to a Haggis-no kidding) reminding Scots they were Scots; not British, and certainly nae English! In the US, he’s most remembered for penning the words to Auld Lang Syne, better known as the New Year’s song that no one knows the words to (most people “sing” it in one continuous, drunken slur as the ball drops. It’s also at the end of It’s a Wonderful Life.)

Anyway, Robbie Burns Day is a day of national pride in Scotland. It’s also an excuse to get drunk while pretending to venerate a historical figure (not like we Irish have any days like that). So, to my large Scottish friend, and for all Scots braw and wee, take pride in your lineage and have a Belhaven Ale or a can of Irn Bru in celebration!

I was gonna stop there, but since I’m online I might as well make the best of my time. Long ago, before his um…unfortunate accident, the Mantis told me of a show I should have been watching. Soon afterwards it went off the air before I had a chance to watch it, and it has only recently become available on DVD. The show I am speaking of is called American Gothic, and I am now about 10 episodes into the 22 that were made before the show met its untimely demise, due to typical network stupidity.

Normally I’d rather rub shit in my hair than tell the Mantis he was right about anything, partly because I’d hate to make his head any bigger than it already is (look at his picture, for Chrissakes!), but also out of pure spite. After watching the show, however, I must confess that Dr. Mantodea was right. This show was great. I always thought Gary Cole would forever be Lumbergh from Office Space to me, but I was wrong. Although they’re two very different characters, Lumbergh has got nothing on Sheriff Lucas Buck (“That’s Buck, with a B”). How this show got ignored is beyond me, especially as it came out in 1995, shortly after the Twin Peaks phenomenon. It’s another example of a great show (like Firefly) that got no support from its parent network.

Rent it. Netflix it. Buy it. Just see it.

And if you have seen it, let’s talk about it. That Sheriff Buck is one evil son-of-a-bitch.

I have to go. “Someone’s at the door…”

7 Comments:

Blogger AM said...

I told you, too, but apparently I don't rate.

Thu Jan 26, 01:24:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Is that someone Mel Gibson, to celebrate your Scottish heritage together?

Thu Jan 26, 08:04:00 AM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

am: the Mantis told me in 1995, back when we were prostrate to the higher mind together. You reminded me of the show's greatness last year, however, and that was instrumental in my decision to buy the DVD set.

BTW: I'd much rather tell you you're right than tell the Mantis.

Thu Jan 26, 04:40:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

WEE, sleekit, cow'rin', tim'rous beastie,
O what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickerin' brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee
Wi' murd'rin' pattle!

Thu Jan 26, 07:21:00 PM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Sit back, Tel,and bask in the warm glow of the Piper's knowledge (or it could be his arrogance):

It's pronounced "Scots waa-hey",which are the first 3 words of the poem "Robert Bruce's March to Bannockburn", by Robert Burns:

"Scots wha' ha'e wi' Wallace bled,
Scots wham Bruce has aften led"

Translation: (Scots who have bled with (William) Wallace,
Scots whom (Robert) Bruce has often led (to battle)

It's a popular song played on the bagpipes. The Real McKenzies do a kickass punk version and have made it their unofficial signature song.

For a completely fictionalized (but still cool) account of the events leading up to Bannockburn, watch Braveheart.

Fri Jan 27, 01:15:00 PM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

meaning it's a bad show? or it's awful because it's so eeeeeevil?

Thu Feb 02, 08:29:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

New podcast is up mofo

Wed Feb 08, 09:30:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home