Tuesday, September 11, 2007

7/31/07 Day 2 Dublin City



7/31/07 Day 2 Dublin City
We slept for several hours, waking up around 3p.m. local time. Our hotel is located in the northern part of the city, across from the Croke Park soccer stadium. It was a short walk south from the hotel to O’Connell St., where the Post Office that was the center of the 1916 Easter Uprising is located. On the way, we passed this cool statue of James Joyce. I took a picture of it for Dr. Murk.We stopped at a pub called Madigan’s, not far from the Millennium Spire, for our first meal and our first pint of Guinness in Ireland. It was my first meal, anyway; Dad and Seth ate the ridiculously overpriced breakfast a few hours earlier and were still full.



Madigan’s is as traditional as Irish pubs get, which is to say as traditional as any we would wander into over the next week and a half. All wood paneling and dark corners filled with sturdy wooden furniture in a mixture of styles and shapes. The atmosphere was friendly and there was no television to be seen. No live music, either; we'd have to wait until tomorrow night for that.



The waitress arrived with our pints, and there ensued the longest five minutes of our lives while we waited patiently for the stout to settle. (For all the non-stout drinkers out there, waiting for a pint to settle is essential to enjoying it. As a bartender in Glin—much later in our trip— would say, “You wouldn’t ask Michelangelo to hurry up and paint the Sistine Chapel, would you?” In other words, it’s worth the wait.) At last the moment arrived. “I’m just letting you know, I’m drinking you losers under the table,” Dad said, for the first (but definitely not the last) time of the trip. We raised and clinked glasses and took our first long bite of the pint. It was pure heaven.

For Seth and I, anyway. Not so much for Dad. “Jesus Christ, guys—this shit’s disgusting. It tastes burnt.” Seth and I shook our heads in bewilderment. “Are you serious?” Seth asked. “You realize we’re in heaven, right?”

Dad tried several more sips, after each making a face like someone had seized his scrotum and tugged violently downwards. “This stuff is disgusting,” he said. “How the hell can you drink it?” That’s my Dad—insulting the national beverage of Ireland in an Irish pub in the center of Dublin on his first day in the country. Way to blend in, Pops. My brother and I practically raced each other to finish our pints so we could drink his.

The waitress brought me my meal next. I started with an appetizer of oak-smoked salmon served with lemon and greens. It was really good (Ireland is renowned for its salmon), but nothing prepared me for my main course—Irish stew.

Let me be clear: I had some really good food in Ireland. This stew was not only the best meal I had on the entire trip, it was the best bowl of stew I’ve had in my life. The beef (not lamb) fell apart with every bite. The thick Guinness-based broth was very salty and seasoned with an abundance of thyme and other herbs. It was served with three generous scoops of mashed potatoes, loaded with butter, plopped right in the middle of the stew.

It was not health food.

After my first orgasmic reaction to the stew, Dad and Seth each tried a bite. “Christ, that’s good,” said Dad, “but if I ate that much salt and butter I’d drop dead of a heart attack.”

After Madigan’s (which we were in no hurry to leave) we walked south and crossed the River Liffey via O”Connell bridge. We didn’t tarry long though, as we found to our dismay that most of the shops along the quays had closed. We took some pictures and wandered around for a while before once again heading north, taking the time to get our bearings and absorb some Dublin street life.



Dubliners, for the most part, live in large buildings partitioned into individual houses, much like many housing projects here in America. These do not have the often shabby appearance of projects, however; Dubliners for the most part take pride in their homes and are careful to maintain and individualize each one. Thus one building may contain several doors, each painted a different color as each tenant’s way of personalizing their home. Many units have small gardens or fenced-in patios in front, and at dusk we saw many of Dublin’s residents outside their homes, sweeping and tidying up.


In August, it doesn’t get dark in Ireland until well after 10 pm. The shops close around 6 p. m., though, so there’s really nothing for us to do but return to the hotel and watch television or go hit the pubs. We opted for the second choice.

While Dad and Seth ate their dinner at a chip shop, I bought some bottled water and ran back to the hotel to drop it off. I passed two women on a park bench deep in conversation, speaking Gaelic. When I returned, I found Dad and Seth with full glasses, sitting at the bar in a working-man’s pub.

The place was a dive. We were in what we would discover later was the “outskirts” of the city. Very soon after sitting down I wanted to leave and find a better place. We had one drink each and left, going across the street to another, more inviting pub.

Dad, ever intent upon drinking his sons under the table, ordered his second gin & tonic in four hours and nursed the hell out of it. Seth ordered Guinness, of course, and I ordered a Bulmer’s cider—known as Magner’s here in the States for some reason known only to advertising executives. We sat down in a comfortable alcove and chatted for while, talking about what we wanted to do tomorrow.

My brother sipped his pint. “Oh yeah,” he said. “Better than the last place.”

“It tastes different from place to place?” Dad asked.

“Sometimes,” Seth said. I nodded.

“Gimme that,” Dad said. “I’m drinking you losers under the table.”

Dad took a sip of Seth’s Guinness and made a noise like a cat expelling a hairball. “Jesus, you guys are disgusting.”

Now it's not just the Guinness that was disgusting. We were disgusting for liking it. I took the pint from Dad and took a sip. “Hmm,” I said, giving Seth my best uncertain look, “can’t be sure. All I got was foam.”

I tried to take another sip, but Dad ruined it by laughing. Seth grabbed the glass away. “Fuck you,” he said. I was kind of hoping I would be able to use that trick more often on the trip, but my brother is wiser than he appears.

After a few more drinks, we left the pub. We were all pretty tired; we had only arrived in Ireland that morning, after all. We resolved to do some shopping and hit the Guinness Storehouse the next day. We went back to our hotel and soon after, to bed.

Labels: ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Dude, someone took over your feed, better check it out.

Tue Sep 11, 07:31:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Dr. Robert J. Murk said...

The only drink I realy miss is stout.

Tue Sep 11, 10:56:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Michelle, the moon rabbit said...

I want to go!

These are cool pictures. It looks to me like Dublin is a really clean place and really well taken care of. Is it?

Wed Sep 12, 11:58:00 AM 2007  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

JM: No. It's kind of dirty.

But it's Dublin. :)

Wed Sep 12, 04:46:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Michelle, the moon rabbit said...

I can't argue that. :)

Okay...next nosey questions: Have you been to Scotland, plan to go to Scotland or absolutely hate Scotland because of your love for Ireland?

Thu Sep 13, 12:00:00 PM 2007  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Never been to Scotland. I wanted to go a few years ago, but I had to buy a car instead, because a tree fell on the one I had. No, I'm not kidding.

How could I possibly hate Scotland? I'm a piper, you silly goose.

I'll get there eventually. The bagpipe museum in Glasgow is worth the trip by itself.

Thu Sep 13, 03:47:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Eve said...

Ok now I really want to go. Those pictures are great! I love Dad!

Thu Sep 13, 11:11:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Sara Sue said...

Found your site through Malach. Fantastic post! I'll be back.

Fri Sep 14, 04:41:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Phoebe Fay said...

I had the same reaction as your dad the first time I tried Guiness (in Dublin, too). The second night, I tried it again and decided it wasn't awful. The THIRD night I finally understood its divine properties and fell in love with it.

The fourth morning, I had the worst hangover of my life. It was worth it.

Great post.

Sat Sep 15, 12:24:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Christopher said...

Your Dad seems like a great guy. Is he a native Asslander or did he immigrate there?

Sat Sep 15, 03:35:00 PM 2007  
Blogger One Filthy Mick said...

ok

The old man is here to edit this one-sided view of a three-sided trip. Be careful what you write, boy

Sat Sep 15, 05:03:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Michelle, the moon rabbit said...

Hey, I wasn't sure if there was a rivalry between Irish lovers and Scottish lovers. So..I had to ask. Glad you love them both though.

Yeah! AP's relative has arrived!! Now we can get other versions of the trip!!

"That's hot!"

Sat Sep 15, 11:36:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Eve said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Sun Sep 16, 01:17:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Eve said...

Hi there Dad! Glad to see you have arrived.

Sun Sep 16, 01:20:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

Great post.

Although, I agree with your dad. That stuff tastes awful.

And I agree with your brother.
You smell.

Sun Sep 16, 01:32:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Christopher said...

ACK! Run!

Hello sir. Sorry sir!

I am the Asslander!

Cowers in abject terror.

Sun Sep 16, 09:47:00 PM 2007  
Blogger AngryMan said...

You're reading Hemingway? Tool.

Tue Sep 18, 12:15:00 PM 2007  
Blogger One Filthy Mick said...

I don't know about the rest of you but I getting just a LITTLE impatient wating for the rest of the damn story to be told.
I don't have a whole lotta years left so lets move it along!!!

Tue Sep 18, 07:07:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Pope Benedict XVI said...

DAMN IRISH . . . Pagan blasphemers

Tue Sep 18, 07:29:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Oh no, it's my local pharmacist

Tue Sep 18, 09:01:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Dr. Robert J. Murk said...

I could have taken the damn trip myself in the amount of time it will take him to write it, Filthy Mick Dad.

Wed Sep 19, 08:17:00 PM 2007  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Yeah, well...
I almost cut my finger off chopping an onion with a not-sharp-enough knife. So Day 3 may have to wait a few days while I glue my fingertip back together.

Thu Sep 20, 12:53:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Michelle, the moon rabbit said...

Hope you're using crazy glue on that finger. It's works better then Elmer's.

Fri Sep 21, 12:12:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Sara Sue said...

Is it better yet?? Can't you get your dad to type it for you??

Fri Sep 21, 02:20:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Eve said...

Cant you type with more than just one finger?

Fri Sep 21, 07:58:00 AM 2007  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Sara: I'm working on it.

Dad: I'm working on it.

Eve: I only need one finger to convey what I need to you. Can you see this? I'm doing it as had as I can.

Fri Sep 21, 05:18:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Eve said...

Yes I got the finger! Now stop flipping me off and type.

Sat Sep 22, 10:52:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

So we have to put up with endless posts about his straight edge razor blade knife skills for shaving and now, conveniently, he can't keep a kitchen knife sharp enough to dice an onion?

"Oouchies, my finger, I can't type. Boo hoo hoo. Someone spoon feed me oatmeal until I'm healed."

Sat Sep 22, 04:46:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Dr. Robert J. Murk said...

I'm an ugly pop tart faced bag piper! Don't ask me about my ultra cool trip to onion land!!!

Sun Sep 23, 05:53:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Tequila Mockingbird said...

i have been told after i made my introduction in WOW, that i am your perfect match. i am unsure how to take that.
i guess it all depends on what youre packing under your kilt.

Tue Sep 25, 04:36:00 PM 2007  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Usually an Uzi.

Tue Sep 25, 08:21:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home