Thursday, August 17, 2006

Hiatus

As many of you may know, Dog the Bounty Hunter finally married his long-time girlfriend with the award-winning cans, Beth. This means I will likely never fulfill my fantasy of rocking Beth's world with crazy Piper luv. As a result, The Angry Piper's Book of the Week will be going on brief hiatus while I drink myself silly to drown my grief. This is usually bad news; I tend to do stupid things when I'm on the drinkin'. But don't fret. I'll be back soon.

In the meantime, this is a good opportunity to try out an idea that's been kicking around in my head for a while: the guest review.

Got a book you love? Want to recommend it to people? Want to dazzle the Internet world with your insightful brilliance, or just pontificate pretentiously? Do a guest review of a book. I'll host it at Angrypiper.com. You'll be saving me some work for the next couple of weeks, and on top of that, you'll be doing a service to other readers. My book reviews receive about 100-120 unique hits a day. Not to brag, but a lot of folks actually want to read what I have to say about matters literary. Go figure.

Now's your chance to capitalize on my hard work and status as a D-List Internet celebrity. Here are the submission guidelines:

1) Don't review a book I have already reviewed. If you want to post a contrary opinion to one of my reviews, that's what the feedback link is for. I will eventually do a post of all the comments I have received at the end of the year.

2) Please review only books you recommend. Don't use this as an opportunity to tell people how much a book or a writer sucks. That's not what my column is about.

3) Don't send me your 25 page term paper on East of Eden. My book reviews are short for a reason. Try to keep it about 2 pages or less, please.

4) Do not send me a chapter by chapter summary of the book. If you are unclear how to summarize, please look at any of my reviews.

5) If at all possible, do not give away the book's ending. People want to find that out for themselves.

5) I reserve the right to edit for grammar and spelling. I won't change the content of your review, but if you can't spell to save your life and are unfamiliar with the concept of spellcheck, you're gonna have to accept some editing.

6) Submissions should be in Word or Plain Text formats. (.doc or .txt) I use a PC.

7) All submissions will be credited, along with a link to the author's email (if desired) so they can receive feedback. I'll even post amusing and/or factual reviewer bios. If you don't want to be linked to your work, tell me; I'll still make sure you get feedback, it'll just come from me and the rest of the world won't know your email address.

8) SEND ALL SUBMISSIONS TO angrypiper@angrypiper.com


I hope to get some good submissions within the next few weeks. If nothing goes up, it's because none of you wanted to write a review. That's ok; I understand. But it sure would be swell if you did.

OK, I'm off to drink a handle of Gordon's gin straight up while sobbing uncontrollably in the dark. Gordon's: the cheapest gin not made in a bathtub.

Beth...why have you forsaken me?

7 Comments:

Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Oh oh, who wants to die?

Thu Aug 17, 08:58:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Eve said...

Piper, does Red Fish Blue Fish One Fish Two Fish count?

Thu Aug 17, 09:01:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Dr. Jen said...

Hello Piper. Words of advice: you should drink Tanqueray Gin while sobbing about unrequited love. Your prescription is in the mail.

Fri Aug 18, 04:44:00 PM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Eve: You couldn't have got that title more wrong unless you used different numbers, animals and colors.

Tel: Send em on over, brah!

Doc: Send it in one of those refrigerated cartons.

Sat Aug 19, 08:53:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Eve said...

Yes I know that! Kind of the point! Nevermind

Sat Aug 19, 09:51:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Dr. Jen said...

I have cold Tanq here :)

Sat Aug 19, 11:29:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

WHHHEEEMEN!

Mon Sep 04, 06:46:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home