Saturday, July 15, 2006

Still Crazy After All These Years

This past weekend Malach was kind enough to invite me to his place for a small gathering, in which a keg of beer featured prominently. Due to increasingly annoying life circumstances, I was forced to depart early, but not before I left Malach with the impression I was trying to seduce his wife, merely because the music on my MySpace page is currently dedicated to her.

Preposterous. Malach, old bean, I’m not trying to seduce your wife, just because I arrived with a pencil-thin moustache and slicked back hair, wearing a smoking jacket. And relax; I’ve been studying Spanish lately, hence the slight accent and my harmless interest in Spanish fly. I’ll have you know that getup wasn’t for her benefit, it was for Dr. Murk, who was conspicuously absent. The bastard. I will not be used once and then thrown away, like a Swiffer sweeper. I have feelings too.

Funny thing did happen, however. Whilst staring moodily into the fire Malach had built (we are men, after all, and men brood), he and I came to some realizations: first, that he is… how you say… queer as a three-dollar bill. Second, that he and I have known each other for nigh on twenty years.

Twenty years. Jesus. That’s a long time to call someone a friend. I’ve also known Murk for twenty years. Eve too. I’ve known the Angry Veteran for 24 years. And Dr. Mantodea and Fury have been in my elite circle of friends for about 15 years apiece. Seeing how I’m a young 33 years old, that’s a good portion of my life. I think Malach may have been a bit surprised by this, too…but who really knows for sure? He can be somewhat opaque at times.

Also, while at Chez Malach, I partook of some Sam Smith’s oatmeal stout, breaking my 2 month plus beer fast (I’m down 18 lbs., baby). That Sam Smith’s is quite good. I then played a round of plastic bowling with Malach’s two young spawn, and I totally OWNED them. I rule.

I don’t usually review books in this blog, as I have my own freakin’ website for that, but if you cast your eyes to the right, you’ll notice two new additions to the blog template: what I’m currently reading and what I’m currently reviewing over at Angrypiper.com. Rarely will they be the same book. I want to talk a bit about my current reading selection: Rust and Bone by Craig Davidson. It’s the debut collection of short stories by this guy, and Christ, can he write. His stories aren’t pretty, his world is cynical and uncompromising, and yet there’s a subtle humanity evident in even his most jaded characters. Like the maimed boxer who fights out of unrelenting guilt, or the ad executive who raises pit bulls as fighting dogs (definitely not a story for the squeamish), or the killer whale trainer who loses a limb in a freak accident. This is powerful, character-driven fiction at its best. I’m not finished with it yet, but even if the rest of the book sucks (which I strongly doubt) I wholeheartedly recommend it if only for the stories I’ve read. Check it out.

Also, just a quick reminder that it's Memoir Month over at Angrypiper.com, so check out the book of the week columns over there if you need to catch up, or if you want a recommendation for something less edgy. If my amazing and insightful reviews inspire you to purchase any of the books, you can do so by clicking on the handy Amazon.com links provided.

Or you can get off your ass and go to the bookstore. That works too.

9 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Yeah, but when Mrs. Doctor Murk is sick, and Mr. Tooserious fills you with Zombie Vommits (his new drink), it's tough to get to a keg party.

Tue Jul 18, 08:38:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Still got the Keg until the end of the week, about half full.

Tue Jul 18, 04:47:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Eve said...

Wow 18lbs congrats! 20 years is a long ass time to be friends. Could not have asked for better ones though. Would rather be drinking with you than melting in Bush land right about now!

Tue Jul 18, 06:02:00 PM 2006  
Blogger ~Kat~ said...

What no mention of me...I'm insulted. You've known me 4 13 years ..LOL

Tue Jul 18, 09:11:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

I'm down 27 pounds since Macrh. A total of 45 pounds in 3 years (I jumped way up in Jan/Feb).

Tue Jul 18, 09:48:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

We are old.

Fri Jul 21, 10:54:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Wow, Piper, you know a RIF?

R - Rabid
I - Inuyasha
F - Fan

You got some type of secret life where you spend your evening watching crappy animes?

Mon Jul 24, 09:41:00 AM 2006  
Blogger ~Kat~ said...

Hey Malach,
What is so wrong about watching Inuyasha? At least I don't go around goofing on Marvel super heros and villians LOL

Mon Jul 24, 06:00:00 PM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

ZING!

Thu Jul 27, 03:49:00 PM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home