Wednesday, July 19, 2006

R.I.P. Mickey

Mickey Spillane died on 7/17/06 at the age of 88. He will be mourned by mystery and noir fans worldwide, including me.

Spillane is best known for creating Mike Hammer, Private Eye. Hammer was as tough as they come; he led with his fists and refused to lay down for anyone. He has been immortalized in a little over a dozen novels since his debut in 1946, when I, the Jury was published, as well as on the big screen, the radio and three classic TV series. He has been portrayed by Armand Assante, Darren McGavin, Ralph Meeker, and most famously by Stacy Keach; he was even portrayed by Spillane himself in 1963's The Girl Hunters.

Spillane inspired many great mystery writers; among them Donald E. Westlake, Lawrence Block, and Max Allan Collins (Road to Perdition). He preferred to consider himself a writer rather than an author; for him, the difference was that "writers sell what they write." He sold a lot of books.

As my own special tribute, this week's Book of the Week column will focus on Mickey Spillane; some of his best-known work and his writing style. It's safe to say that the genre of noir film and fiction as we know it would not exist without three men: Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, and Mickey Spillane. Now the last of the great noir icons has passed away.

Sadly, there will be no more tales of Mike Hammer and Velda.

Rest in Peace, Mickey.

17 Comments:

Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

Nobody nails 'em like the Hammer.

Fri Jul 21, 10:55:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

Hammer?

"I am... Hammer! Hammer!
I am... bankrupt! bankrupt!"

That hammer?

Sun Jul 23, 10:44:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

Exactly. It is a well documented fact that Mickey Spillane was partial to parachute pants and song and dance routines. Most impressive, he never spilled a drop of scotch while busting a move. The world has lost a true talent.

Sun Jul 23, 12:21:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

Maybe we should call him Mickey 'ain't' Spillane.

Mon Jul 24, 07:54:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'em . .

TURN YOUR MOTHA OUT!!!

Mon Jul 24, 09:39:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

M
I
C

See you real soon... no, wait. You're dead.

K
E
Y

Why? Because when you die they put you in the dirt.

S P I L L!!!! (ane)

Tue Jul 25, 12:46:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

And, if Mike Hammer were gay, would he give "Hammer Head"?

Wed Jul 26, 10:12:00 PM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Obviously, I need to update my blog more often.

Thu Jul 27, 03:49:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

What do you mean, IF he were gay? All that super macho overcompensation and barely contained misogyny. Hello! In the closet!

Sat Jul 29, 03:17:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

You have a point. A seven inch point... for Mike 'Gay For Pay' Hammer!!!!

Sat Jul 29, 10:58:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

Wanna play 'honk on bobo'?

Sun Jul 30, 01:03:00 PM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Oh for Christ's sake! Shut up, both of you! Have some fucking respect for the dead!

Jackasses.

Sun Jul 30, 01:50:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

Mike Hammer isn't dead; seeing as he was never alive. You know, except in Spillane's repressed imagination.

Spillane though, yeah, he's down for the big dirt nap.

Man, if there isn't a new post here soon this is going to spiral out of control. I blame the weather.

Sun Jul 30, 02:19:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

I believe I quote Shakespear when I say:

"I fulla mars aroundin jaim ber...

I zed...

I FOLLOE MURRIS A ROUND IN CHAMBUR!"

and my word verification says 'rapecg'

Mon Jul 31, 09:27:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

Oh furg you and POST SOMETHING NEW!!!!

Wed Aug 02, 11:20:00 PM 2006  
Blogger Christopher said...

Okay, I'm going to print this post out and wipe my ass with it.

Thu Aug 03, 09:16:00 AM 2006  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Fuck off! I'm BUSY!

I'll update it soon.

Thu Aug 03, 10:41:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home