Sunday, May 29, 2005

On Future Expatriatism

I look ahead to the next major step in my life, should I live so long, and it is known as "putting down roots". This, to me, is defined as establishing a permanent residence somewhere with the intent of buying a home. While I haven't lived anywhere else for any significant amount of time, I was always fairly confident that my choice for such endeavors would be New England, where I live now. There's a lot I love about New England, despite the outrageous taxes, sky-high housing costs, and piss-poor job market. I like the weather which is as it should be: hot in summer and cold in winter. I like the fact that I get snow during the winter months and I like the fact that I can get fresh seafood year-round. I take for granted that I live next to the ocean and I can't imagine living somewhere like Kansas (no offense to any Kansas folk-Kansasites? Kansasians?)where you're completely land-locked and in the middle of everything. (Possibly related: I can't sit in a seat in the middle of the row in a movie theater-I HAVE to be on the end, near the aisle. Draw your own conclusions.)

But I'm not so sure I want to live in New England anymore.

The other day I read that Bill Maher was called "treasonous" because he made a comment on his show regarding the difficulty the Armed Forces are currently experiencing recruiting for the War in Iraq. His exact comment was that they "already picked all the low-flying Lynndie England fruit, and now we need warm bodies." Lynndie England, for those who don't know, is that charming gal in all the Abu Ghraib prison photos holding leashed Iraquis and giving the thumbs-up sign.

Whether or not you agree with Maher's assessment of the military, the fact is that military recruiting is way, way down, a natural by-product, I would think, of being in a war that not everyone in the country is thrilled about. The Armed Forces have recently come under scrutiny for not being particularly selective in their screening process-there have been cases where people with known mental health issues have been accepted and practically rushed through before being halted when word got out to parents and relatives. Bill Maher is a comedian (with outspoken political views, granted) and it's his job to make jokes that not everyone will find funny all the time. But treasonous? You gotta be kidding.

Is Bill Maher sending copies of secret government plans to the enemy? Is Bill Maher deliberately giving our military misleading information so the enemy will have the upper hand? Is Bill Maher in a foxhole in Iraq with an RPG actively fighting against US forces? No. When he's not banging playmates at the Playboy Mansion, he's on TV, lampooning and criticizing the government and talking about issues no one wants to talk about. More important, he's giving voice to both sides of the issue, whatever it may be, by having people with differing viewpoints hash it out, unlike Bill O'Reilly, who basically calls everyone who doesn't agree with him an asshole.

But Congressman Spencer Bachus (R. Alabama), wants Bill Maher off the air, for remarks that he believes border on treason. Can someone do me a favor and tell me where the fuck I'm living nowadays?

It used to be ok to disagree with what people in power say, as long as you don't actively foment rebellion. Michael Moore couldn't get studios to release Farenheit 9/11 because of pressure from the government. Howard Stern was hit with more fines than anyone in the history of broadcasting last year, AFTER he started bashing Bush, then they practically went on a crusade to get him off the air, even going so far as to threaten fines for things he said YEARS ago. Trent Reznor (who I'm not a big fan of, incidentally) won't play the MTV awards because his latest song is a protest of American policy and he wanted a picture of Bush on stage, and they said no way. Whether or not artists should be touting their political views during performances is up for debate- personally I say it depends on how they do it. And to be fair, MTV has the right to refuse any political protests if it's supposed to be all about the music, but how long has it been since MTV was all about the music?

To quote a guy who wrote for the Phoenix a few weeks back (whose name escapes me), just because the Republicans won a close election last year doesn't mean they get everything their way. There ARE other voices. What's disturbing to me is the general policy of silencing anything that doesn't tow the party line by calling it unpatriotic and now, "treasonous." Disagreement is not a crime, and certainly doesn't equal treason by itself. I don't support our decision to go into Iraq but that doesn't make me unpatriotic or sympathetic to terrorism. I backed going into Afghanistan all the way. Just because I don't support the war doesn't mean I don't support the troops, who are sacrificing their lives over there for something they may or may not believe in. They're a hell of a lot braver than me, every single one of them, and I hope to Christ they all come home soon.

An American friend of mine of Scottish descent is considering moving to Scotland when it becomes a Commonwealth. I never thought I'd ever say it, but I'm considering putting down roots somewhere else too, because in a lot of ways this country, though I love it and have known no other home, is beginning to scare me. Nova Scotia looks to be the best place for my climate preferences (cold) and general interests (bagpiping and solitude).

Anyone know what Canada's policy is on emigrating? How about Free Speech?

13 Comments:

Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

While not looking to move, you blog, moved my latest one. Nice Job.

Sun May 29, 08:59:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you're considering letting a bunch of intolerant rednecks drive you out of your own country? I’m sure people like Bachus, and our fearless leader would be glad to see you go. Which, in my opinion, is as good a reason as any to stick around?

It would be a shame. The last thing this county needs is for more of its smart and educated people to leave.

Also, Nova Scotia is nice, but they have their own contingent of right wing theo-cons in Canadian politics. You can’t really get away from assholes in government. It’s a sad reality, my friend.

Sun May 29, 11:41:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Eve said...

Ok Owen called you smart and educated... The government can threaten and fine all it wants. The beauty of this country is the right to say something against the "leaders." Once something is said in public whether its right or wrong it causes people to think and question. It sparks debate. It is not what is said, it is the saying of it that matters. You thrive on controversy and debate. Living in a palce where everyone gets along, you would shrivel up and blow away.

Mon May 30, 02:05:00 PM 2005  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

We used to have the right to say something against our leaders, Eve...my whole point was that now we don't seem to be able to do that without being called treasonous. I don't think I thrive on controversy and debate, either... you of all people should know that if I thrive on anything it's solitude; I am, as Neil Diamond says a "solitary man."

And Owen, my friend...I'm only considering leaving because I want to continue having the rights I've enjoyed all my life, and the folks in power nowadays seem intent on stripping our rights from us piece by piece in the name of "vigilance" and "sacrifice" and "security." I'm all for those things, but not at the expense of the Bill of Rights, and no one seems to be able to stop it. If you try, if you even say something that may be construed as trying, you're labeled a traitor. Again I ask, where the fuck am I living?

Wed Jun 01, 06:09:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Generation Xsquire said...

Don't do it buddy. What we really need is a massive influx of Canadians. The truth will always out. People were afraid after 9/11. Scared people are willing to trade cicil liberties for promises of security. The irony, of course, is that the only true security is in strong civil liberties.

Besides, you could barely stand one French Canadian in your life. Never mind a whole damn Province full of them.

Wed Jun 01, 08:34:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

It is this Christain Moral Compass that now seems to rule this country . . . Bush of course as the Holy Roman Emporer. Luckilu, I leaned all this shit from Campeau

Wed Jun 01, 09:22:00 PM 2005  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Boston to Nova Scotia ferry service starts soon. Don't know if I can handle being on a boat for 14 hours, but it may be worth a trip.

Thu Jun 02, 04:11:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

You could always emigrate to Fairhaven like I am doing

Thu Jun 02, 08:45:00 PM 2005  
Blogger Eve said...

You could always move to Texas and buy about 50 acreas. Live quietly. Warm and quiet! We do however ban suggestive cheering so you would need to stay away from the moral right here too.

Fri Jun 03, 05:58:00 PM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kudos on the newest name incarnation. I dig it.

As for you thriving on controversy and debate, that's certainly not been my experience, and I'm relatively sure the hundreds of hours we've logged speaking would have revealed it.

Don't leave, then it will be only me and "them".

*shudder*

Fri Jun 03, 11:55:00 PM 2005  
Blogger The Angry Piper said...

Thanks. It was originally going to be "The Angry Piper's Festering Pit of Bile, Hate, Vituperation and Angst" but I decided to shorten it because it sounds pretentious as hell and because I'm not really that angry. Yet.

"Them." Heh. You crack me up, Betty.

Sat Jun 04, 08:07:00 AM 2005  
Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

Betty? I understand you a feminist and all, but pretend time is over, and I am the man.

Sat Jun 04, 09:15:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who you callin' a feminist?

You don't know me (complete with Ricki Lake finger-wagging).

Sat Jun 04, 03:55:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home