Thursday, May 12, 2005

Sting

Those who know me know I'm all about three things: books, bagpipes and big girls (pretty much in that order), but believe it or not, I do listen to other types of music. In fact, my heirarchy of bands would go something like this: at #1: The Police, and by extension, Sting. #2 Seven Nations (yeah, I know...bagpipes-but 2 out of 3 ain't bad) and #3 P.J. Harvey. I've been fortunate enough to see all of these artists live more than once. Last night I saw Sting for the third time, and musically speaking, it was the best Sting show I've seen yet.

While I think Sting has assloads of talent on his own, I've always been a bigger Police fan. I always wished I could have seen them play, but they unofficially broke up in 1983, and I was into "feeling the noize" with Quiet Riot back then. By the time I actually possessed musical taste (some would say I still lack it) I was in college. Suffice it to say I'd crawl through a mile of broken glass and fishhooks to get tickets for The Police should they ever reuinite. Last night was the closest I think I'll get.

Sting's new tour band consists of 4 members including Sting: a rhythym guitarist, a drummer (both of whose names I forget) and of course, Dominic Miller on lead guitar. No keyboards, no background vocalists...just the essentials. He played more Police tunes than Sting tunes, and while Andy and Stuart weren't there, it was almost like they were.

One has to assume the current state of world politics played some role in the set list: Spirits in the Material World, Demolition Man, Driven to Tears, and Invisible Sun all were included. He also played Synchronicity 2 ( I used to really think this song was about Nessie. I was in 6th grade. Cut me some slack) and quite possibly my favorite Police tune (So Lonely is a close second): King of Pain, which I, in my more melodramatic moments, have been known to refer to as the anthem of my life. He even played Next To You as an encore...for crap's sake, you can't get any more early than that!!! It was a great show, and if you get a chance to see him on this tour, I would highly suggest you do. Unless you hate The Police and Sting. In which case don't go, seek professional help instead.

On an unrelated note, when someone writes a book about a big girl bagpiper, I am so there.

Cheers.

2 Comments:

Blogger Malach the Merciless said...

The Police are very underrated as a influential and creative band of the time, they always seemed to be lost in disco, overshadowed by bands like U2, or the Clash, and just seemd to get lost in that rahter strange point of musical history . . . though less strange than what is considered Music nowadays (sorry, I just don't get Little John). The Police are the Pixies of the Late 70's early 80's

Fat Bottom Girls, they make the rockin' world go round . . . I thought that was your theme?

Fri May 13, 09:00:00 AM 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And what about the Jethro Tull Song?

Fri May 13, 07:46:00 PM 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home